Sunday 20 May 2012

The Day the Earth Stood Still - Effects reconstruction


"Eating" effect used in "The Day the Earth Stood Still" movie showing swarm of  little robots  “Aphids” eating whatever they touch produced in Weta Digital (source: pierre-grage.com). Originally Maya with loads of coding was used to achieve this kind of effect. In my case I used Houdini and
whole effect is fully procedural, meaning, it`s possible to replace road sign with truck, house, stadium etc. It uses volume of object therefore it`s possible to eat from inside or from surface of geometry. I will continue developing more, this is core, and I`ll publish more tests soon. Hope you like idea.


This procedural simulation is digital asset, meaning it`s fully customisable and adaptable to almost any production pipeline. If you think this could be useful for your studio pipeline, contact me personally.

9 comments:

  1. That is pretty cool! Care to share the setup? =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      thanx!, yes definitely, plan is to conduct free, mini seminar on `maya and houdini in vfx` to serve like introduction for my Master classes. During introduction I`ll talk about The Day the Earth Stood Still - Effects reconstruction as well. Whoever is interested, please contact me. Registration will start soon

      Delete
    2. I am definitely interested! Hope to hear from you soon :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Borko, please do include me in your mini seminar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. me ToO I alSo wanT To JOIN siR
    Plzzzzzzzz my
    EMAIL id is :-ajayramanpisharody@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. hisham.wagih@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. your work is very good you deserve a big platform

    ReplyDelete